On March 4, the IRS released its Exempt Organization Newsletter, Issue Number 2014-5. Topics include the following:
- What if the IRS needs more information on your application?
- Review Revenue Procedure 2014-19
- Register for EO workshops
- IRS offers Health Care Tax Tips to help individuals understand tax provisions in the Affordable Care Act
- IRS releases the “Dirty Dozen” Tax Scams for 2014
- Charities and Their Volunteers phone forum presentation posted
- Interactive Form 1023 updated
1. What if the IRS needs more information on your application?
New sample questions will help you know what to expect.
2. Review Revenue Procedure 2014-19
Revenue Procedure 2014-19 clarifies that EO Determination letters continue to be eligible for expedited handling under section 9 of Revenue Procedure 2014-4.
3. Register for EO workshops
Register for our upcoming workshops for small and medium-sized
501(c)(3) organizations on:
- March 12 and 13 – Kansas City, MO
Hosted by University of Missouri -Kansas City-Midwest Center for Nonprofit Leadership/Bloch School of Management
- March 19 and 20 – Phoenix, AZ
Hosted by ASU – Lodestar Center for Philanthropy & Nonprofit Innovation
- April 30 – Provo, UT
Hosted by Brigham Young University – Marriott School
4. IRS offers Health Care Tax Tips to help individuals understand tax provisions in the Affordable Care Act
The IRS is offering educational Health Care Tax Tips to help individuals understand how the Affordable Care Act may affect their taxes.
The IRS has designed the Health Care Tax Tips to help people understand what they need to know for the federal individual income tax returns they are filing this year, as well as for future tax returns. This includes information on the Premium Tax Credit and making health care coverage choices.
Read the news release.
5. IRS releases the “Dirty Dozen” Tax Scams for 2014
This annual list of tax scams reminds taxpayers to use caution during tax season to protect themselves against a wide range of schemes ranging from identity theft to return preparer fraud.
6. Charities and Their Volunteers phone forum presentation posted
Check out this new presentation. Soon all EO phone forums will be posted as Adobe Captivate (an electronic learning tool) presentations on the IRS Stay Exempt Resource Library page. Captivate combines presenter audio and Microsoft PowerPoint to create a more entertaining and informative presentation.
Also, periodically review the phone forums page for registration information on upcoming presentations.
7. Interactive Form 1023 updated
The form, which incorporates changes suggested by the public, includes updated user fees.