Tax Forms

Organizations that formed for charitable, educational, religious, scientific, or literary purposes under Section 501(c)(3) file for exemption on Form 1023:

  1. IRS Form 1023 (Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3))
  2. Instructions to IRS Form 1023

All other organizations claiming exemption from federal income tax file for exemption on Form 1024.  Examples of these organizations include title holding companies, social welfare organizations, chambers of commerce, and fraternities/sororities, among others.

  1. IRS Form 1024 (Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(a))
  2. Instructions to IRS Form 1024

All organizations that claim exemption under section 501(a), including section 501(c)(3) organizations, are required to file an annual tax return.

  1. IRS Form 990 (Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax)
  2. Instructions to IRS Form 990
  3. IRS Form 990-PF (Return of Private Foundation)
  4. Instructions to IRS Form 990-PF
  5. IRS Form 990-EZ (Short Form Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax)
  6. Instructions to IRS Form 990-EZ
  7. Instructions for Filing Form 990-N
  8. IRS Form 990-T (Unrelated Business Income Tax Return)
  9. Instructions to IRS Form 990-T

Other helpful forms include:

  1. Form 1128 (Application to Adopt, Change, or Retain a Tax Year)
  2. Instructions to IRS Form 1128
  3. IRS Form 2848 (Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative)
  4. Form 3115 (Application for Change in Accounting Method)
  5. Instructions to Form 3115
  6. IRS Form  8718 (User Fee for Exempt Organization Determination Letter Request)
  7. IRS Form SS-4 (Application for Employer Identification Number)

Powered by WordPress | Published by Bryan Cave LLP | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Advertising Notice | Site Map
Home | Our Team | Our Practice | FAQ | Clients | Our Firm | Contact Us | Twitter